ROTL NZ2017 - RIDE OF THE LEGENDS
Replicating our Australia 2013 adventure when we cycled from Melbourne to Sydney between the 2nd and 3rd Tests was always going to difficult but we managed to produce an amazing. The NZ2017 Ride of the Legends Charity Cycle Ride - from Wellington to Auckland, again between the 2nd and 3rd Tests.
With help from our friends in NZ we put together a great itinerary.
We took 16 UK riders and 5 ex Lions legends over to Wellington together with 25 NZ riders and 5 ex AB legends where we watched the Lions win the 2nd Test before setting off the next day, by bike, for Auckland and the 3rd Test. The ride passed through plenty of well known rugby country and our experienced crew supported the riders every inch of the way.
The UK riders fund-raised for Wooden Spoon (www.woodenspoon.org.uk/) and WWTW, whilst the NZ riders raised money for Conductive Education NZ - all 3, excellent Charities that are giving us great support and who we are delighted to be riding for!
- Jun 28/29 - Flight to Wellington
- Jun 30 - Wooden Spoon XV v Poneke Pies XV - guests of Gullivers
- Jul 1 - Wellington Test Match (2nd) All Blacks 21 - Lions 24
- Jul 2 - Ride starts - Wellington to Masterton 127km
- Jul 3 - Masterton to Palmerston North 114km
- Jul 4 - Rest Day - Optional Golf
- Jul 5 - Taupo to Matamata 149km
- Jul 6 - Matamata to Thames 90km
- Jul 7 - Thames to Coromandel Town 54km (Ferry to Auckland City)
- Jul 8 - Auckland Test Match (3rd) All Blacks 15 - Lions 15
- Jul 10 - Flights back to London